Friday, July 1, 2011

København and Việt Nam



Opera Houses




But in all seriousness, being here makes me miss Việt Nam a little. I'm not exactly sure why. It might be that Danish people are surprisingly nice like Vietnamese people, maybe the rest of Europe could learn some things. Maybe its the Danes and their bikes versus the Vietnamese and their Motorbikes.

Photo:Baisikeli



I don't understand why America is so far behind in alternative transportation. Danish people laugh at the New York art students when they talk about biking in Manhattan (apparently something you do if you have a serious death wish). Also I was discussing with Dad last night about bike rental and he wouldn't shut up about a helmet. The thing is - no one wears them here because its about as safe as it can possibly be for bikers. Yesterday Carlo and I got yelled at by a man on a bike for walking in the bike lane because they even have precedence over pedestrians I guess.

Copenhagen is seriously killing it for amazing infrastructure. I was planning on being impressed but its by far the best system I've ever seen. Some German women mistook me for a Dane a few days ago and asked directions the system is SO GOOD that I actually gave her directions...amazing. That says a lot seeing as I give direction in neither New York, Chicago, Detroit or any other major American city (and likely not Kalamazoo either). I guess the transportation system here pretty much developed before or during the building of the city because its amazing. Hanoi could learn some serious stuff. So could Detroit.... and everywhere else.

Either way its nice to see Fixies surpass their Hipster-trash roots in America. Kind of.




Also today I ate my first Danish. It was not cherry cheese - those still sound gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment